Wednesday, September 18, 2013

How to Properly Size Hats HUMPDAY TUTORIAL!

After much sweat, blood, and tears...I have finally finished my hat sizing chart. For those of you that crochet (or knit!) hats on a regular basis, you know how difficult it can be to accurately size a hat. Sometimes it's the difference of ONE stitch that can totally throw the whole size off!

I have concocted a sizing chart, based on using worsted weight yarn, with the option of 2 different size hooks. I hope this chart will help you with your frustration. I know it has definitely helped me. I am no longer pulling my hair out and frogging every single hat! :)


By using a simple circumference calculator (found here!), you can accurately determine the diameter and circumference. All you have to do is make your circle and measure across the center. This is your diameter. Use the calculator I linked to, or just multiply by 3.14 (remember geometry class?). This number is your circumference. Then you just have to adjust the length accordingly (obviously smaller hats will have less rows, and larger hats will have more rows). I generally use half double crochets, and find that smaller hats have 18 rows, longer hats have 20. 

I know there are other hat sizing guides out there, and definitely some that are better than this one, but hey... the internet can never have enough information right??? 

Hat Sizes with H (5mm) Hook
STITCHES
CIRCUMFERENCE (in.)
DIAMETER (inches)
SIZE
50
16.5
5.25
18-24mo
52
17.2
5.5
2-3T
54
18
5.8
4-5T
55
18.8
6
Child
60
21
6.6
Small Adult


Hat Sizes with I (5.5mm) Hook
STITCHES
CIRCUMFERENCE
DIAMETER
SIZE
40
12.5
4
Newborn
41
13.8
4.4
3-6 month
42
15
4.75
6-9 month
43
16.2
5.15
12 month
50
20.5
6.5
Teen
55
24
7.5
Large Adult Male

7 comments:

  1. I have been searching for something like this!!! I found ones for just circumference and size but i needed stitch count!!! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching all day for this thank youuu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!!thankyou so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!!thankyou so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of yarn did you use to create these charts, more specifically the number of stitches? This could make a difference too.

    http://danceswithyarn.net

    ReplyDelete